Experimental model of intervertebral discs degeneration in rat’s tail
Keywords:intervertebral disc, degenerative changes, experimental model
Introduction. Main groups of experimental models of degenerative and trophic changes in intervetebral discs are given.
Materials and methods. An experimental model for study of sequence of degenerative changes forming in intervetebral discs was proposed.
Results. Morphological changes were studied after 30 days and 2 and 3 months. It is established that compression factor plays a key role in degenerative and trophic changes of intervertebral discs.
Conclusions. The obtained results confirm adequacy of the created experimental model of osteochondrosis.
4. Ariga K, Miyamoto S, Nakase T et al. The Relationship Between Apoptosis of Endplate Chondrocytes and Aging and Degeneration of the Intervertebral Disc. Spine. 2001;26(22):2414-2420. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
5. Kim J. Successful in vivo gene transfer to intervertebral discs in a slowly progressive and reproducible animal model of disc degeneration. In: 50Th Ann. Meeting Of The Orthopaedic Research Society. San Francisco; 2004.
8. Ching C, Chow D, Yao F, Holmes A. Changes in nuclear composition following cyclic compression of the intervertebral disc in an in vivo rat-tail model. Medical Engineering & Physics. 2004;26(7):587-594. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Cassidy JD, Yong-Hing K, Kirkaldy-Willis WH, Wilkinson AA. A Study of the Effects of Bipedism and Upright Posture on the Lumbosacral Spine and Paravertebral Muscles of the Wistar Rat. Spine. 1988;13(3):301-308. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Kroeber M, Unglaub F, Wang H et al. New In Vivo Animal Model to Create Intervertebral Disc Degeneration and to Investigate the Effects of Therapeutic Strategies to Stimulate Disc Regeneration. Spine. 2002;27(23):2684-2690. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
13. Ching C, Chow D, Yao F, Holmes A. The effect of cyclic compression on the mechanical properties of the inter-vertebral disc: An in vivo study in a rat tail model. Clinical Biomechanics. 2003;18(3):182-189. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
14. Pazzaglia U, Andrini L, Nucci A. The effects of mechanical forces on bones and joints: Experimental study on the rat tail. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1997;79(6):1024-1030. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
15. Volkov A. Morfologicheskiye izmeneniya mezhpozvonkovogo diska krysy v usloviyakh asimmetrichnoy statichnoy kompressii [Morphological changes of the intervertebral disc of rat under asymmetric static compression] [dissertation]. Moscow (Russia); 2008. Russian.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2012 Mykhaylo Khyzhnyak, Valeriy Grigorovsky, Yuriy Gafiychuk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.