Choroid plexus tumors
Keywords:choroid plexus tumor, hydrocephalus, cerebrospinal fluid-shunting operations, children, adults
Introduction. In the article the data of literature are summarized and age-related features of choroid plexus tumors clinical flow, diagnostics, localization and outcomes in children and adults are considered.
Materials and methods. The research is based on retrospective analysis of case reports of patients been treated in Institute for period of 30 years.
Results. Choroid plexus tumors — are rare primary neoplasms from neuroepithelial tissue. They make from 0.4 to 1% in structure of all intracranial tumors. Most often they are found in infants.
Conclusions. Treatment of these patients is complicated by chorioid plexus tumors’ high vascularity, accompanying hydrocephalus and ineffective adjuvant therapy of choroid plexus carcinomas.
2. Gozali A, Britt B, Shane L et al. Choroid plexus tumors; management, outcome, and association with the Li-Fraumeni syndrome: The Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) experience, 1991-2010. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011;58(6):905-909. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
6. Anselem O, Mezzetta L, Grangé G et al. Fetal tumors of the choroid plexus: is differential diagnosis between papilloma and carcinoma possible?. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011;38(2):229-232. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
9. Guerard M. Tumeur fongeuse dans le ventricle droit du cerveau chez une petite fille de trois ans. Bull Soc Paris. 1832;8:211–214.
11. Brassesco M, Valera E, Becker A et al. Grade II atypical choroid plexus papilloma with normal karyotype. Childs Nerv Syst. 2009;25(12):1623-1626. [PubMed]
13. McEvoy A, Harding B, Phipps K et al. Management of Choroid Plexus Tumours in Children: 20 Years Experience at a Single Neurosurgical Centre. Pediatric Neurosurgery. 2000;32(4):192-199. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
14. McGirr S, Ebersold M, Scheithauer B, Quast L, Shaw E. Choroid plexus papillomas: long-term follow-up results in a surgically treated series. Journal of Neurosurgery. 1988;69(6):843-849. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
15. Fitzpatrick L, Aronson L, Cohen K. Is there a Requirement for Adjuvant Therapy for Choroid Plexus Carcinoma that has been Completely Resected?. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. 2002;57(2):123-126. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
17. Berger C, Thiesse P, Lellouch-Tubiana A, Kalifa C, Pierre-Kahn A, Bouffet E. Choroid Plexus Carcinomas in Childhood: Clinical Features and Prognostic Factors. Neurosurgery. 1998;42(3):470-475. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2012 Yuriy Orlov, Andrii Shaverskyi, Аndriy Svyst
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.