Kyphoplasty in the treatment of thoracolumbar spine osteoporotic fractures
Keywords:osteoporosis, compressive fracture, balloon kyphoplasty, pain syndrome
Introduction: In osteoporosis is high risk of vertebral fractures significantly worsen the quality of life of patients. This is primarily due to persistent pain syndrome.
Materials and metods: Investigate the dynamics of pain and social adaptation of patients operated on for compression fractures of the spine with osteoporosis by percutaneous balloon kyphoplasty. 15 patients was operated. In 40% of cases occurred in a two-level compression, 60% - single-level compression. Unipedicular approach is made by 6 patients, and bipedicular - 9 patients. McGill and Oswestry Questionnaires were used for estimating the results of the operation.
Results: There weren`t any complications. All patients showed a reduction in the intensity of the pain syndrome and great social adaptation. This dynamic is most clearly revealed in the first 24 hours after surgery.
Conclusions: Balloon kyphoplasty allows to reduce pain and improve the social adaptation of patients.
1. Troptsova NV, Nikitinskaya OA, Bonevolenskaya LI. Osteoporoz — sotsialnaya problema XXI veka [Osteoporosis is a social problem of the XXI century]. Russian Medical Journal. 2007;15(4):315-8. Russian.
2. Galaeva YY, Yevtushenko IS, Butev EV, Yevtushenko SK, Yevtushenko OS, Galaeva AA, Chuchvareva SS. [New Possibilities of Osteoporosis Therapy in Adults]. Mezhdunarodnyy nevrologicheskiy zhurnal. 2010;1(31):100-107. Russian. [eLIBRARY.ru]
3. Shuba NM. Osteoporoz — aktualna problema XXI stolittya: sutchasne uyavlennya pro patogenez i terapiyu [Osteoporosis is an actual problem of the XXI century: modern view of pathogenesis and therapy]. Ukrayins'kyy revmatolohichnyy zhurnal. 2008; 2(32):5-14. Ukrainian.
5. Pedachenko EG, Kuschaev SV. Punktsionnaya vertebroplastika [Percutaneous vertebroplasty]. Kiev: A.L.D.; 2005. Russian.
6. Theodorou D, Theodorou S, Duncan T, Garfin S, Wong W. Percutaneous balloon kyphoplasty for the correction of spinal deformity in painful vertebral body compression fractures. Clin Imag. 2002;26(1):1-5. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
7. Kim H, Kim S, Ju C, Kim S, Lee S, Shin H. The role of bone cement augmentation in the treatment of chronic symptomatic osteoporotic compression fracture. J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2010;48(6):490-5. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Wardlaw D, Cummings SR, Van Meirhaeghe J, Bastian L, Tillman JB, Ranstam J, Eastell R, Shabe P, Talmadge K, Boonen S. Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2009;373(9668):1016-24. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Yang H, Wang G, Liu J, Ebraheim NA, Niu G, Hiltner L, Lee AH, Tang T. Balloon kyphoplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture nonunion. Orthopedics. 2010;233(1):24-28. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
12. Belova AN. Shkaly, testy i oprosniki v nevrologiyi i neyrochirurgiyi [Scale, tests and questionnaires in neurology and neurosurgery]. Moscow: Antidor; 2004. Russian.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Borys Pavlov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.