Features of the course of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage and risk of the development of cerebral vasospasm: literature review
Keywords:aneurismal subarachnoid hemorrhage, vasospasm, biomarkers
Cerebral vasospasm is one of the most hazard complication of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, that has a significant impact on mortality and may cause of poor functional recovery in patients. Detection of early clinical predictors of vasospasm and poor outcome is serious problem in modern neurosurgery and neurology. The paper presents the modern biomarkers and predictors of the course of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage and risk factors for cerebral vasospasm. Datas from studies on the most promising areas of diagnosis and treatment of vasospasm also analyzed; own data are included to the discussion.
1. Crobeddu E, Pilloni G, Tardivo V, Fontanella MM, Panciani PP, Spena G, Fornaro R, Altieri R, Agnoletti A, Ajello M, Zenga F, Ducati A, Garbossa D. Role of nitric oxide and mechanisms involved into cerebral injury after subarachnoid hemorrhage: is nitric oxide a possible answer to cerebral vasospasm? J Neurosurg Sci. 2015 Jan 20. [Epub ahead of print]. [PubMed]
2. Cremers CH, Dankbaar JW, Vergouwen MD, Vos PC, Bennink E, Rinkel GJ, Velthuis BK, van der Schaaf IC. Different CT perfusion algorithms in the detection of delayed cerebral ischemia after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neuroradiology. 2015;57(5):469-74. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
4. Gollwitzer S, Groemer T, Rampp S, Hagge M, Olmes D, Huttner HB, Schwab S, Madžar D, Hopfengaertner R, Hamer HM. Early prediction of delayed cerebral ischemia in subarachnoid hemorrhage based on quantitative EEG: a prospective study in adults. Clin Neurophysiol. 2015 Aug;126(8):1514-23. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Stein M, Brokmeier L, Herrmann J, Scharbrodt W, Schreiber V, Bender M, Oertel MF. Mean hemoglobin concentration after acute subarachnoid hemorrhage and the relation to outcome, mortality, vasospasm, and brain infarction. J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Mar;22(3):530-4. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Oras J, Grivans C, Dalla K, Omerovic E, Rydenhag B, Ricksten SE, Seeman-Lodding H. High-sensitive troponin T and N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide for early detection of stress-induced cardiomyopathy in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care. 2015;23(2):233-42. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Varsos GV, Budohoski KP, Czosnyka M, Kolias AG, Nasr N, Donnelly J, Liu X, Kim DJ, Hutchinson PJ, Kirkpatrick PJ,Varsos VG, Smielewski P. Cerebral vasospasm affects arterial critical closing pressure. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2015 Feb;35(2):285-91. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
12. da Costa L, Houlden D, Rubenfeld G, Tymianski M, Fisher J, Fierstra J. Impaired cerebrovascular reactivity in the early phase of subarachnoid hemorrhage in good clinical grade patients does not predict vasospasm. Acta Neurochir. 2015;120(suppl.):249-53. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
13. Faust K, Horn P, Schneider UC, Vajkoczy P. Blood pressure changes after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage and their relationship to cerebral vasospasm and clinical outcome. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014 Oct;125:36-40. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
14. Budohoski KP, Czosnyka M, Kirkpatrick PJ, Reinhard M, Varsos GV, Kasprowicz M, Ząbek M, Pickard JD, Smielewski P. Bilateral failure of cerebral autoregulation is related to unfavorable outcome after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care. 2014;22(1):65-73. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
15. Edvinsson L, Povlsen GK, Ahnstedt H, Waldsee R. CaMKII inhibition with KN93 attenuates endothelin and serotonin receptor-mediatedvasoconstriction and prevents subarachnoid hemorrhage-induced deficits in sensorimotor function. J Neuroinflammation. 2014;11:207. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
16. Ramesh SS, Prasanthi A, Bhat DI, Devi BI, Cristopher R, Philip M. Correlation between plasma total nitric oxide levels and cerebral vasospasm and clinical outcome in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in Indian population. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2014;5(1):22-7. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
17. Kiser TH. Cerebral vasospasm in critically III patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: does the evidence support the ever-growing list of potential pharmacotherapy interventions? Hosp Pharm J. 2014 Nov;49(10):923-41. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
18. Rabinstein AA, Lanzino G, Wijdicks EF. Multidisciplinary management and emerging therapeutic strategies in aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage. Lancet Neurol. 2010;9(5):504-519. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
19. Toyoda T, Yonekura I, Iijima A, Shinozaki M, Tanishima T. Clot-clearance rate in the sylvian cistern is associated with the severity of cerebral vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Acta Neurochir. 2015;120:275-7. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
20. Merino C, Heap P, Vergara V, Yáñez A, Rivera R. Changes in cerebral blood flow velocity in supine and sitting position in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Rev Med Chil. 2014 Dec;142(12):1502-9. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
21. Riordan MA, Kyle M, Dedeo C, Villwock MR, Bauer M, Vallano ML, Deshaies EM. Mild exercise reduces cerebral vasospasm after aneurysm subarachnoid hemorrhage: a retrospective clinical study and correlation with laboratory investigation. Acta Neurochir. 2015;120(suppl.):55-61. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Valeriy Zaporozhan, Iuliia Solodovnikova, Anatoliy Son
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.