Lumbar spine stenosis. Terminological mess or problem misunderstanding? (review of the literature and our own observations)
Keywords:lumbar spine stenosis, neurogenic alternating lameness, CT, MRI
Lumbar spine stenosis is rather widespread disease and a lot of scientific publications are dedicated to it. However inspite of undoubted interest of medical public to this problem, there is a terminological mess, different understanding of the problem by neurosurgeons, orthopaedists-traumatologists and roentgenologists.
We analyzed our own experience, domestic and foreign literature and distinguished debatable moment in disease diagnostics.
Different modern methods are used for diagnostics of the disease, but any of them reaches MRI or CT does not let to exclude the diagnosis.
1. Epstein N. Lumbar spine stenosis. In: Epstein N, Winn R, ed. Neurological Surgery. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 2004:4521-4539.
2. Antipko L. Stenoz Pozvonochnogo Kanala [Spinal Stenosis]. Voronezh: IPF «Voronezh»; 2001. Russian.
3. Boden S, Davis D, Dina T. Abnormal magnetic resonance scans of the lumbar spine in asymptomatic patients: A prospective investigation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1990;72(3):403-408. [Publisher Abstract/Full Text].
4. Chatha DS, Schweitzer ME. MRI criteria of developmental lumbar spinal stenosis revisited. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2011;69(4):303-7. [PubMed]
5. Wheeler M, Fortin J. Imaging in Lumbar Spinal Stenosis. Pain Physician. 2004;7:133-139. [Publisher Abstract/Full Text]
Maravilla KR, Hartling RP. Imaging decisions in degenerative spinal disease: a practical approach. MRI Decis. 1989;2:2–13.
7. VanDyke C, Ross J, Tkach J, Masaryk T, Modic M. Gradient-echo MR imaging of the cervical spine: evaluation of extradural disease. American Journal of Roentgenology. 1989;153(2):393-398. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
14. Prodan A, Radchenko V, Perepechay O, Isayenko A. Dinamicheskiy poyasnichnyy spinalnyy stenoz (kliniko-rentgenologicheskoye i eksperimentalnoye issledovaniye) [Dynamic lumbar spinal stenosis (clinical, radiological and experimental study)]. Ortopediya, travmatologiya i protezirovaniye. 2005;3:21-26. Russian.
15. Prodan A. Degenerativnyye zabolevaniya pozvonochnika [Degenerative diseases of the spine]. In: Prodan A, Radchenko V, Korzh N, ed. Semiotika. Klassifikatsiya. Diagnostika [Semiotics. Classification. Diagnostics.]. 1st ed. Kharkiv: Kontrast; 2007:272. Russian.
16. Pedachenko E, Rogozhin V. [Radiological diagnosis of narrow spinal canal]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2002;3:62-65. Russian.
17. Prodan A, Radchenko V, Perepechay O, Isayenko A. Ortopedicheskiye aspekty khirurgicheskogo lecheniya stenoza pozvonochnogo kanala [Orthopedic aspects of surgical treatment of spinal stenosis]. Ortopediya, travmatologiya i protezirovaniye. 2005;3:21-26. Russian.
18. Abdullayev R, Ponomarenko S. [New aspects of spinal canal stenosis diagnosis]. Luchevaya diagnostika Mezhdunar med zhurn. 2005;3:106-109. Russian. [Publisher Abstract/Full Text]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2012 Mykola Polishchuk, Yuriy Pedachenko, Elena Krasilenko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.