The еffectiveness of simvastatin in treating vasospasm in patients with rupture of arterial cerebral aneurysms
Keywords:arterial vasospasm, simvastatin
Introduction. Vasospasm is a leading cause of disability and mortality in cases of arterial cerebral aneurysms rupture. The search for new methods of prevention and treatment still continues.
Materials and methods. The study of the effectiveness of simvastatin in the prevention and treatment of vasospasm has been carried out. Spasm severity was assessed by transcranial Doppler, the level of C-reactive protein.
Results. Decrease in the severity of arterial spasm and shortening of its regression term with simvastatin has been noted.
Conclusions. The use of simvastatin in acute aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage origin modifies the course of vasospasm, helps to prevent the development of critical vasospasm, reduces the activity of endothelial inflammation, reduces the duration of hospital stay.
1. Atroshchenko Ye.S. Pleyotropnyye effekty statinov: novyy aspekt deystviya ingibitorov GMG-KoA-reduktazy. Meditsinskiye novosti. 2004;3:59—66. Russian.
2. Bederson J, Connolly E, Batjer H et al. Guidelines for the Management of Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Statement for Healthcare Professionals From a Special Writing Group of the Stroke Council, American Heart Association. Stroke. 2009;40(3):994-1025. [CrossRef]
4. Wong G, Poon W. The Biochemical Basis of Hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA Reductase Inhibitors as Neuroprotective Agents in Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Pharmaceuticals. 2010;3(10):3186-3199. [CrossRef]
5. Gaydar B V, Semenyutin VB, Parfenov VE, Svistov D V. Transkranialnaya dopplerografiya v neyrokhirurgii. [Transcranial Doppler in Neurosurgery]. St. Petersburg:Elbi; 2008. Russian.
6. Fountas K, Tasiou A, Kapsalaki E et al. Serum and cerebrospinal fluid C-reactive protein levels as predictors of vasospasm in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgical FOCUS. 2009;26(5):E22. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2013 Svitlana Dudukina
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.