Morphometric evaluation of efficacy of modified nerve guidance tubes at bridging large rat sciatic nerve gap: experimental study
Keywords:morphometric evaluation, myelination level, axon density, autologous nerve gafting, tubulization, modified nerve guidance tubes, large nerve gap, sciatic nerve, experiment
Introduction. The primary goal of this experimental study was to evaluate the efficacy of modified nerve guidance tubes and to compare the efficacy of different modifications of intraluminal space of nerve guidance tubes at bridging large rat sciatic nerve gap.
Materials and methods. To quantify status of neural fibres we utilized silver impregnation by Bilshovskiy–Gross, to identify myelin sheaths – samples were stained by Spielmeyer.
Conclusions. 1. Level of myelination of axons after bridging the gap with hollow guidance tube was the lowest among all other groups of animals and did not depend on regeneration terms. 2. Bridging the gap with different types of modified nerve guidance tubes allowed us to obtain morphometric results reliably equal to “gold standard” of reconstructive surgery – autologous nerve grafting technique.
1. Sarikcioglu L, Demirel BM, Utuk A. Walking track analysis: an assessment method for functional recovery after sciatic nerve injury in the rat. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2009;68(1):1-7. [PubMed]
2. Tsimbalyuk VI, Stashkevich AT. Khirurgicheskoye lecheniye povrezhdeniy perifericheskikh nervov pri bolshikh defektakh. Vracheb. delo. 1987;6:47. Russian.
3. Grigorovich KA. Khirurgicheskoye lecheniye povrezhdeniy nervov [Surgical treatment of nerve injury]. Leningrad: Meditsina; 1981. Russian.
4. Tsymbalyuk VI, Hayko HV, Suliy MM, Strafun SS. Khirurhichne likuvannya ushkodzhen plechovoho spletennya [Surgical treatment of brachial plexus injury]. Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha; 2001. Ukrainian.
5. de Olivera A, Pierucci А, de Brito Pereira K. Periрheral nerve regeneration through the nerve tubulization technique. Braz. J. Morphol. Sci. 2004;21(4): 225-231.
10. Kanaya F, Firrell J, Breidenbach W. Sciatic Function Index, Nerve Conduction Tests, Muscle Contraction, and Axon Morphometry as Indicators of Regeneration. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 1996;98(7):1264-1271. [CrossRef]
12. Urbanchek M, Chung K, Asato H, Washington L, Kuzon W. Rat Walking Tracks do not Reflect Maximal Muscle Force Capacity. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 1999;15(02):143-149. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
13. Gramsbergen A, IJkema-Paassen J, Meek M. Sciatic Nerve Transection in the Adult Rat: Abnormal EMG Patterns during Locomotion by Aberrant Innervation of Hindleg Muscles. Experimental Neurology. 2000;161(1):183-193. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
14. Hrabovyy O M, Prosha M V. Izopropanol-tseloyidyn-parafinovyy metod zalyvky materialu dlya histolohichnykh doslidzhen. Ukr. zhurn. med. tekhniky ta tekhnolohiyi. 1994;1-2:34-36. Ukrainian.
15. Avtandilov GG. Osnovy patologoanatomicheskoy praktiki: rukovodstvo [Basics of pathology practice: manual]. Moscow: Ros. med. akad. poslediplom. Obrazovaniya; 2007. Russian.
16. Sapozhnikov AG, Dorosevich A Ye. Gistologicheskaya i mikroskopicheskaya tekhnika: rukovodstvo [Histological and microscopic equipment: manual]. Smolensk: SAU, 2000. Russian.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2013 Vitaliy Tsymbaliuk, Ihor Tretyak, Aleksandr Gatskiy, Sergiy Vernigorodskiy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.