The influence of cultivated autogenous nucleus pulposus cells on structure of intervertebral discs of caudal spine at osteochondrosis model in rats
Keywords:spine, osteochondrosis, asymmetric compression-distension, autogenic cells of intervertebral disc, implantation, histological changes, morphometric indices, experiment
Introduction. The unsolved problem of treatment of intervertebral discs degenerative changes and new cellular technologies development open new possibilities for researches in the different directions, one of which is restoration of structurally-functional properties of the diseased tissues.
Materials and methods. In experiment in rats with model of constant and temporary asymmetric static compression-distension (ASCD) of caudal spine, dynamics of histological changes and morphometric values of intervertebral disc (IVD) tissues were studied, including after implantation of suspension of cultivated autogenous cells of nucleus pulposus.
Results. It was found that autocells implantation has multilateral positive influence on IVD tissues condition: reduces their asymmetry in comparison to the side of compression and distension, frequency of large foci of necrosis in anulus fibrosus (AF).
Conclusions. The parameters, reflecting IVD-tissues reactions on mechanical influence, depend moderately on autocells implantation, at the same time the parameters of IVD tissues condition after ischemic lesion in particular size of foci of AF necrosis on the side of distension and amount of necrotic cells in AF had a tends to optimization in discs with implanted autocells.
1. Ganey T, Libera J, Moos V, Alasevic O, Fritsch KG, Meisel HJ, Hutton WC. Disc chondrocyte transplantation in a canine model: a treatment for degenerated or damaged intervertebral disc. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003 Dec 1;28(23):2609-20. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
2. Meisel HJ, Siodla V, Ganey T, Minkus Y, Hutton WC, Alasevic OJ. Clinical experience in cell-based therapeutics: disc chondrocyte transplantation A treatment for degenerated or damaged intervertebral disc. Biomol Eng. 2007 Feb;24(1):5-21. Epub 2006 Jul 21. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Vasilyeva IG, Khyzhnyak MV, Shuba IN, Gafiychuk YuG. Iintervertebral discs degeneration and methods of its biological correction. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2010;(1):16-23. Russian.
5. Yuhta MS, Grishchenko VI. K voprosu o primenenii kletochnoy terapii pri degenerativno-distroficheskikh povrezhdeniyakh mezhpozvonkovykh diskov [On the question of the application of cell therapy for degenerative intervertebral disc injuries]. Vіsnyk ortopedії, travmatologії ta protezuvannya. 2010;(4):70-75. Russian.
6. Yumashev GS, Furman ME. Osteokhondrozy pozvonochnika [Degenerative spine disease]. Moscow: Meditsina; 1984. 382 p. Russian.
7. Tsivyan JL, Burukhin AA. Patologiya degeneriruyushchego mezhpozvonkovogo diska [Pathology of degenerating intervertebral disc]. Novosibirsk: Nauka, Sib Otd-niye; 1988. 126 p. Russian.
8. Ganey T, Hutton WC, Moseley T, Hedrick M, Meisel HJ. Intervertebral disc repair using adipose tissue-derived stem and regenerative cells: experiments in a canine model. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Oct 1;34(21):2297-304. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. Iatridis JC, Mente PL, Stokes IA, Aronsson DD, Alini M. Compression-induced changes in intervertebral disc properties in a rat tail model. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999 May 15;24(10):996-1002. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
10. Grygorovsky VV, Khyzhnyak MV, Vasilyeva IG, Shuba IN, Gafiychuk YuG. [Pathomorphological changes of rat’s tail intervertebral disks and vertebrae bodies at asymmetric static compression-distension in the experiment]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2011;(3):59-64. Russian.
12. Volkov AV. Morfologicheskiye izmeneniya mezhpozvonkovykh diskov krys v usloviyakh asimmetrichnoy statichnoy kompressii [Morphological changes in the intervertebral discs of rats under asymmetric static compression] [dissertation]. Moscow (Russia): Research Institute of Human Morphology. 2008. Russian. Available from URL
13. Khyzhnyak MV, Grygorovsky VV, Gafiychuk YuG. [Experimental model of intervertebral discs degeneration in rat’s tail] . Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2012;(2):58-61. Ukrainian.
14. Zakon Ukrayiny «Pro zakhyst tvaryn vid zhorstokoho povodzhennya» [The Law of Ukraine "On protection of animals from cruelty"]. Vidomosti Verkhovnoyi Rady Ukrayiny. 2006;(27):230. Ukrainian.
15. Freshni R, editor. Kultura zhivotnykh kletok. Metody [Culture of animal cells. Methods]. Moscow: Mir; 1989. 302 p. Russian.
16. Peng L, Jia Z, Yin X, Zhang X, Liu Y, Chen P, Ma K, Zhou C. Comparative analysis of mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow, cartilage, and adipose tissue. Stem Cells Dev. 2008 Aug;17(4):761-73. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2013 Valeriy Grigorovsky, Mykhaylo Khyzhnyak, Irina Vasileva, Irina Shuba, Yuriy Gafiychuk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.