Restorative surgery with invasive nerve stimulation in brachial plexus injuries
Keywords:brachial plexus injury, chronic electrical stimulation, surgical treatment
Introduction. 6% of all injuries of locomotive apparatus are injuries of peripheral nerves, up to 90% are injuries of upper extremity.
Materials and methods. We present results of surgical treatment of 73 patients with consequences of long branches of brachial plexus injury with invasive chronic electrical stimulation.
Results. The positive effect (full, good and satisfactory recovery of nerve) was achieved in 76.7% of patients who underwent nerve stimulation and 42.9% of patients, which have been subjected only to the standard surgical treatment. A slight improvement or treatment failure observed in 23.3% of patients with nerve stimulation and in 57.1% of patients without long-term neurostimulation.
Conclusions. Invasive chronic electrical stimulation is safe method in complex restorative treatment of long branches of brachial plexus injuries.
1. Panov DE. Diagnostika i taktika lecheniya bolnykh s povrezhdeniyem sredinnogo i loktevogo nervov na urovne predplechiya i kisti [Diagnosis and treatment strategy of patients with damage to the median and ulnar nerves at forearm and hand] [dissertation]. Moscow (Russia): NN Priorov Central Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics; 2006. Russian. Available from URL
2. Volkova AM. Khirurgiya kisti [Hand surgery]. Ekaterinburg: Sred-Ural Kn Iz-vo; 1991. 304 p.
4. Elton SG, Rizzo M. Management of radial nerve injury associated with humeral shaft fractures: an evidence-based approach. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2008 Nov;24(8):569-73. Epub 2008 Oct 16. Review. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Clement H, Pichler W, Tesch NP, Heidari N, Grechenig W. Anatomical basis of the risk of radial nerve injury related to the technique of external fixation applied to the distal humerus. Surg Radiol Anat. 2010 Mar;32(3):221-4. Epub 2009 Oct 6. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Yildirim AO, Oken OF, Unal VS, Esmer AF, Gülçek M, Uçaner A. Avoiding iatrogenic radial nerve injury during humeral fracture surgery: a modified approach to the distal humerus. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2012;46(1):8-12. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Naumenko LYu, Khomyakov VN., Domanskiy AN. Nash opyt reabilitatsii bolnykh i invalidov s otdalennymi posledstviyami povrezhdeniy nervov verkhney konechnosti [Our experience in the rehabilitation of patients and disabled persons with long-term consequences of the upper extremity nerve injury]. Travmatologiya i ortopediya. 2008;(2): 51-52. Russian.
8. Gerasimov AA, Dubovik EA. Uskoreniye vosstanovleniya perifericheskikh nervov v eksperimente [Accelerating the recovery of peripheral nerves in the experiment]. In: Proceeding of the Conference "Actual problems of surgery of the upper limb"; 2009 May 14–15; Kurgan, Russia. Kurgan, 2009. p.42-43. Russian.
9. Mokhamad KB. Kompleksnaya diagnostika i optimalnyy podkhod k lecheniyu travmaticheskikh povrezhdeniy luchevogo nerva [Complex diagnostics and optimal approach to the treatment of traumatic lesions of the radial nerve] [dissertation]. Moscow (Russia): NN Priorov Central Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics; 2009. Russian. Available from URL
10. Vasilyev MV. Khirurgicheskoye lecheniye bol'nykh s izolirovannym povrezhdeniyem luchevogo nerva i v sochetanii s perelomom plechevoy kosti [Surgical treatment of patients with isolated radial nerve injury in combination with a fractured humerus] [dissertation]. Kazan (Russia): Kazan State Medical Academy; 2010. Russian. Available from URL
11. Venouziou AI, Dailiana ZH, Varitimidis SE, Hantes ME, Gougoulias NE, Malizos KN. Radial nerve palsy associated with humeral shaft fracture. Is the energy of trauma a prognostic factor? Injury. 2011 Nov;42(11):1289-93. Epub 2011 Feb 24. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Zolotova YuA. Profilaktika yatrogennykh povrezhdeniy luchevogo nerva pri lechenii perelomov plecha [Prevention of iatrogenic damage to the radial nerve in the treatment of fractures of the shoulder] [dissertation]. Yakutsk (Russia): North-Eastern Federal University; 2011. Russian. Available from URL
14. Davlatov AA. Khirurgicheskoye lecheniye posledstviy odnovremennogo povrezhdeniya sredinnogo i loktevogo nervov [The surgical treatment of consequence of combined median and ulnar nerves injuries] [dissertation]. Dushanbe (Tajikistan): Avicenna Tajik State Medical University; 2007. Russian. Available from URL
15. Bruyns CN, Jaquet JB, Schreuders TA, Kalmijn S, Kuypers PD, Hovius SE. Predictors for return to work in patients with median and ulnar nerve injuries. J Hand Surg Am. 2003 Jan;28(1):28-34. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
16. Ilina EN. Lecheniye travmaticheskikh povrezhdeniy plechevogo spleteniya metodom vnutritkanevoy elektrostimulyatsii [Treatment of traumatic injuries of the brachial plexus by interstitial electrostimulation] [dissertation]. Kurgan (Russia): Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center for Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics; 2004. Russian. Available from URL
17. Shulyaka GK. Osnovy elektrostimulyatsii [Fundamentals of electrical stimulation]. Kiev: Varta, 2006. 212 p. Russian.
18. Samosyuk IZ, Chuhraev NV, Samosyuk NI, Chuhraeva EN. Elektroterapiya i elektropunktura v meditsinskoy reabilitatsii, fizioterapii i kurortologii [Electrotherapy and electropuncture in medical rehabilitation, physiotherapy and balneology]. Kiev: publisher unknown; 2012. 291 p. Russian.
19. Tsymbaliuk VI, Sapon MA, Tretiak IB. Vykorystannya dovhotryvaloyi elektrostymulyatsiyi pry ushkodzhennyakh nerviv verkhnoyi kintsivky[Use long electrical stimulation of nerves in the upper limb injuries]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2010;(3):66. Ukrainian.
20. Tretyak IB. [Prolonged electrical stimulation of peripheral nerves and plexus damage]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2007;(2):58-61. Ukrainian. [eLIBRARY.ru]
21. Sapon NA. The efficiency of neuropathic pain removing using different methods of neurostimulation. In: Materials of EANS Annual Meeting 2012; 2012 October 24-27; Bratislava, Slovakia. Available from URL
22. Tsimbalyuk VI, Yaminskiy YuYa. [Application of epidural electrostimulation method in renewing surgical treatment of patients with consequences of cervical spine traumatic injury]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2011;(1):36-43. Ukrainian. [eLIBRARY.ru]
23. Grigorovich KA. Khirurgicheskoye lecheniye povrezhdeniy nervov [Surgical treatment of nerve injury]. Leningrad: Meditsina; 1981. 302 p. Russian.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2013 Yuriy Zozulya, Ihor Tretyak, Yulia Tsymbalyuk, Nikolay Sapon
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.