Spinal cord bypass surgery in patients with the consequences of spinal cord injury
Keywords:spinal cord injury, restorative surgery, bypass surgery
In the present study, author analyzes literature data that is devoted to spinal cord bypass surgery as a new method of restorative treatment of patients with the consequences of spinal cord injury. On the basis of experimental researches results author gave a pathophysiological reasoning of different methods of spinal cord bypass surgery. The article includes the results of experimental and clinical spinal cord bypass surgery researches and new prospects of this methods of surgical treatment developing.
2. Mortazavi MM, Harmon OA, Adeeb N, Deep A, Tubbs RS. Treatment of spinal cord injury: a review of engineering using neural and mesenchymal stem cells. Clin Anat. 2015;28(1):37-44. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
6. Papa S, Ferrari R, De Paola M, Rossi FJ, Mariani A, Caron I, Sammali E, Peviani M, Dell’Oro V, Colombo C, Morbidelli M, Forloni G, Perale G, Moscatelli D, Veglianese P. Polymeric nanoparticle system to target activated microglia/macrophages in spinal cord injury. J Control Release. 2014;28:15-26. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Kocsis JD, Lankford KL, Sasaki M, Radtke C. Unique in vivo properties of olfactory ensheathing cells that may contribute to neural repair and protection following spinal cord injury. Neurosci Lett. 2009;456(3):137-142. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
9. Wright KT, El Masri W, Osman A, Chowdhury J, Johnson WE. Bone marrow for the treatment of spinal cord injury: mechanisms and clinical application. Stem Cells. 2011;29(2):169-178. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Tsymbalyuk VI, Yaminsky YuYa. Rekonstruktyvno-vidnovna khirurhiya spynnoho mozku [Reconstructive surgery of the spinal cord]. Kyiv:Avitsena; 2009. Ukrainian.
11. Woerly S, Fort S, Pignot-Paintrand I, Cottet C, Carcenac C, Savasta M. Development of a sialic acid-containing hydrogel of poly[N-(2-hydroxypropyl) methacrylamide]: characterization and implantation study. Biomacromolecules. 2008;9(9):2329-2337. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
12. Tsymbalyuk VI, Nosov AT, Semenova VM, Yaminsky YuYa, Vaslovich VV, Medvedev VV. [Ultrastructural peculiarities of the organization process in a zone of spinal cord traumatic injury and synthetic macropourus hydrogel implantation]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2009;(4):51-56. Ukrainian. [eLIBRARY]
14. Tsimbalyuk VI, Yaminskiy YuYa. [Application of epidural electrostimulation method in renewing surgical treatment of patients with consequences of cervical spine traumatic injury]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2011;(1):36-43. Ukrainian. [eLIBRARY]
15. Yaminskiy YuYa. [Application of epidural electrostimulation to treat bladder dysfunction in patients with consequences of traumatic injury of lumbar and sacral segments of the spin al cord]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2012;(1):80-84. Ukrainian. [eLIBRARY]
16. Oakley JC, Prager JP. Spinal cord stimulation: mechanisms of action. Spine. 2002;27(22):2574-2583. [PubMed]
17. Shapiro S, Borgens R, Pascuzzi R, Roos K, Groff M, Puryiness S, Rogers RB, Hagy S, Nelson P. Oscillating field stimulation for complete spinal cord injury in humans: a Phase 1 trial. J Neurosurg Spine. 2005;2(1):3-10. [PubMed]
19. Weishaupt N, Hurd C, Wei DZ, Fouad K. Reticulospinal plasticity after cervical spinal cord injury in the rat involves withdrawal of projections below the injury. Exp Neurol. 2013;247:241-249. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
20. Vialle R, Lacroix C, Harding I, Loureiro MC, Tadie M. Motor and sensitive axonal regrowth after multiple intercosto-lumbar eurotisations in a sheep model. Spinal Cord. 2010;48(5):367-374. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
21. Vialle R, Lozeron P, Loureiro MC, Tadie M. Multiple lumbar roots eurotisations with the lower intercostal nerves. Preliminary clinical and electrophysiological results in a sheep model. J Surg Res. 2008;149(2):199-205. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
22. Lin H, Hou C, Zhen X. Bypassing spinal cord injury: surgical reconstruction of afferent and efferent pathways to the urinary bladder after conus medullaris injury in a rat model. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2008;24(8):575-581. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
23. Carlsson CA, Sundin T. Forefront: preliminary report. Reconstruction of efferent pathways to the urinary bladder in a paraplegic child. Rev Surg 1967;24(1):73-76. [PubMed]
24. Vialle R, Harding I, Charosky S, Tadie M. The paraspinal splitting approach: a possible approach to perform multiple intercosto-lumbar neurotizations: an anatomic study. Spine. 2007;32(22):631-634. [PubMed]
25. Zhang S, Johnston L, Zhang Z, Ma Y, Hu Y, Wang J, Huang P, Wang S. Restoration of stepping-forward and ambulatory function in patients with paraplegia: rerouting of vascularized intercostal nerves to lumbar nerve roots using selected interfascicular anastomosis. Surg Technol Int. 2003;11:244-248. [PubMed]
26. Livshits A, Catz A, Folman Y, Witz M, Livshits V, Baskoy A, Gepstein R. Reinnervation of the neurogenic bladder in the late period of the spinal cord trauma. Spinal Cord. 2004;42(4):211-217. [PubMed]
27. Lin H, Hou CL, Zhong G, Xie Q, Wang S. Reconstruction of reflex pathways to the atonic bladder after conus medullaris injury: preliminary clinical results. Microsurgery. 2008;28(N):429-435. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
28. Sievert KD, Xiao CG, Hennenlotter J, Seibold J, Merseburger AS, Kaminskie J, Nagele U, Stenzl A. Voluntary micturition after intradural nerve anastomosis. Urologe A. 2005;44(7):756-761. [PubMed]
29. Xiao CG. Reinnervation for neurogenic bladder: historic review and introduction of a somatic-autonomic reflex pathway procedure for patients with spinal cord injury or spina bifida. Eur Urol. 2006;49(1):22-28. [PubMed]
30. von Wild KR, Brunelli GA. Restoration of locomotion in paraplegics with aid of autologous bypass grafts for direct neurotisation of muscles by upper motor neurons — the future: surgery of the spinal cord? Acta Neurochir. Suppl. 2003;87:107-112. [PubMed]
31. Sivaraman A, Altaf F, Carlstedt T, Noordeen H. Intradural repair of lumbar nerve roots for traumatic paraparesis leading to functional recovery. Spin Disord Tech. 2008;21(8):553-556. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
32. Zhang S, Wang Y, Johnston L. Zhang S. Restoration of function in complete spinal cord injury using peripheral nerve rerouting: a summary of procedures. Surg Technol Int. 2008;17:287-291. [PubMed]
33. Dai KR, Yu CT, Wu RS, Zhang XE, Juan JX, Sun YH. Intercostal-lumbar-spinal nerve anastomoses for cord transection. A preliminary investigation. J Reconstr Microsurg. 1985;1(3):223-226. [PubMed]
34. Haque RM, Malone RH, Bauknight MW, Kellner MA, Ogden AT, Martin JH, Tanji K, Winfree CJ. Spinal cord bypass surgery with intercostal and spinal accessory nerves: an anatomical feasibility study in human cadavers. J Neurosurg Spine. — 2012; 16(2):178-186. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
35. Campos LW, Chakrabarty S, Haque R, Martin JH. Regenerating motor bridge axons refine connections and synapse on lumbar motoneurons to bypass chronic spinal cord injury. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506(5):838-850. [PubMed]
36. Carlstedt T, Hallin R, Hedstrom KG, Nilsson-Remahl IA. Functional recovery in primates with brachial plexus injury after spinal cord implantation of avulsed ventral roots. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat. 1993;56(5):649-654. [PubMed]
38. Kachramanoglou C, De Vita E, Thomas DL, Wheeler-Kingshott CA, Balteau E, Carlstedt T, Choi D, Thompson AJ, Ciccarelli O. Metabolic changes in the spinal cord after brachial plexus root re-implantation. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2013;27(2):118-124. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
39. Grahn PJ, Vaishya S, Knight Am, Chen BK, Shmeichel AM, Currier BL, Spinner RJ, YAszemski MJ, Windebank AJ. Implantation of cauda equina nerve roots through a biodegradable scaffold at the conus medullaris in rat. Spine J. 2014;14(9):2172-2177. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
43. Zhou X, Liu Y, Ma J, Sui T, Ge Y, Cao X. Extradural nerve anastomosis technique for bladder reinnervation in spinal cord injury: anatomical feasibility study in human cadavers. Spine. 2014;39(8):635-41. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
44. Oppenheim J, Spitzer D, Winfree C. Spinal cord bypass surgery using peripheral nerve transfers: review of translational studies and a case report on its use following complete spinal cord injury in a human. Neurosurg Focus. 2009;26(2):6. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
45. Gomez-Amaya SM, Barbe MF, Lamarre NS, Brown JM, Braverman AS, Ruggieri MR Sr. Neuromuscular nicotinic receptors mediate bladder contractions following bladder reinnervation with somatic to autonomic nerve transfer after decentralization by spinal root transaction. J Urol. 2015;193(6):2138-2145. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Iuriy Iaminskiy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.