Evoked brain potentials in patients with chronic vertebrobasilar ischaemia depending on the features of cerebral and regional perfusion
Keywords:chronic brain ischaemia, vertebrobasilar territory, cognitive disorders, brain evoked potentials, ultrasound duplex scanning
Objective. To evaluate the effectiveness of brain evoked potentials for the objectivization of early cognitive disorders (CD) induced by cerebral and regional hypoperfusion.
Materials and methods. The influence of hypoperfusion in vertebrobasilar territory (VBT) on characteristics of cognitive functions in 52 patients with chronic brain ischemia was studied. The following methods were used: clinico-neurological, MRI, SPECT, duplex ultrasound scanning (DUS), EEG, and brain evoked potentials (EP).
Results. The patients were split into two groups by DUS scan findings: 1 – those having structural lesions in vertebral arteries (VA), and haemodynamically significant disorders in VBT and 2 – those having none. The examination of patients of the 1st group showed the following findings: high frequency of blood flow velocity decrease in VA; the tendency of decreasing in volumetric cerebral blood flow in brain segments and hemispheres according to SPECT data; prevalence of ataxia, coordination and long tract signs; high frequency of early CD in the domains of attention and memory; EP index changes. The patients with blood flow decompensation in VBT (according to DUS findings) showed changes in brainstem auditory EP parameters (BAEP): increase of III, IV, V latency peaks and III-V interpeak interval. According to the cognitive EP (CEP) study, the patients of the 1st group consistently demonstrated higher frequency of N2 peak amplitude decrease, and P300 peak latency increase.
Conclusions. Based on DUS scan findings, it is clinically appropriate to distinguish a group of patients with structural and haemodynamically significant disorders in VA. The deviations from the normal indices of CEP and BAEP correlate with CD occurring as a result of cerebral and regional hypoperfusion in VBT.
1. Nikolov NA, Makeyev SS, Yaroshenko OYu, Novikova TG, Globa MV. Quantitative evaluation of the absolute value of the cerebral blood flow according to the scintigraphic studies with 99mTc-HMPAO. Research Bulletin of the National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Politechnic Institute”. 2017;11(1):61-68. [CrossRef]
2. Kulikov VP, Kirsanov RI, Zasorin SV, Shulgina LE, Dicheskul ML, Bespalov AG, Khorev NG, Subbotin YG. Standarty dupleksnogo skanirovaniya sosudov. 3rd ed. [Internet]. Barnaul: Altai State Medical University; 2012. Russian. [cited 2018 March 14]. Available from: http://amipdo.ru/uploads/duplex.pdf
3. Gafarova NV. [Influence of personal characteristics on social and professional disadaptation on the example of research of medical workers]. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series: Psychology. 2011; (42): 84–89. Russian. [eLIBRARY.RU]
4. Golonka K, Mojsa-Kaja J, Gawlowska M, Popiel K. Cognitive Impairments in Occupational Burnout - Error Processing and Its Indices of Reactive and Proactive Control. Front Psychol. 2017 May 1;8:676. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
5. Kasatkin DS. [Current strategy of treatment of cognitive impairment: potential points of application of drugs used for treatment of cognitive functions]. ZhNevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2014;114(3):114-21. Review. Russian. [PubMed]
6. Gnezditskiy VV, Chatskaya AV, Korepina OS, Klochkova OI. Assesment of the operative memory capacity based on endogenous evoked potentials (P300 method) without neuropsychological testing. Annaly of clinical and experimental neurology. 2016;10(1):27-34. Russian. [eLIBRARY.RU]
7. Kropotov YD. Kolichestvennaya EEG, kognitivnyye vyzvannyye potentsialy mozga cheloveka i neyroterapiya Donetsk:Izdatel’ Zaslavskiy A.YU.; 2010. Russian.
8. Levin OS. Diagnostika i lecheniye distsirkulyatornoy entsefalopatii: metodicheskoye posobiye. Moscow: MAI; 2010. Russian.
9. Brott TG, Halperin JL, Abbara S, Bacharach JM, Barr JD, Bush RL, Cates CU, Creager MA, Fowler SB, Friday G, Hertzberg VS, McIff EB, Moore WS, Panagos PD, Riles TS, Rosenwasser RH, Taylor AJ; American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines; American Stroke Association; American Association of Neuroscience Nurses; American Association of Neurological Surgeons; American College of Radiology; American Society of Neuroradiology; Congress of Neurological Surgeons; Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention; Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions; Society of Interventional Radiology; Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery; Society for Vascular Medicine; Society for Vascular Surgery; American Academy of Neurology and Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. 2011 ASA/ACCF/AHA/AANN/AANS/ACR/ASNR/CNS/SAIP/SCAI/SIR/SNIS/SVM/SVS guideline on the management of patients with extracranial carotid and vertebral artery disease: executive summary. Stroke. 2011 Aug;42(8):e420-63. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Zaharov VV. [Neuropsychological tests. The need for and the possibility of applying] CONSILIUM MEDICUM. 2011; 13 (2): 82-0. Russian. Available from: https://medi.ru/info/11155/
11. Zenkov LR. Ronkin MA. Funktsional’naya diagnostika nervnykh bolezney: rukovodstvo dlya vrachey. Moscow: MEDpress-inform; 2004. Russian.
12. Guidelines and Consensus Statemens [Internet]. American Clinical Neurophysiology Society; 2018. Available from: http://www.acns.org/practice/guidelines
13. Gnezditskiy VV, Korepina OS. Atlas po vyzvannym potentsнalam mozga. Ivanovo: Izd.-poligraf. kompleks “PresSto”; 2011. Russian.
14. Demchenko AV. [Cognitive evoked potential P300 in chronic cerebral ischemia]. Ukrainian Neurological Journal. 2016;(3):13-9. Ukrainian. [VernadskyNLU]
16. [Unified clinical protocol of primary, secondary (specialized), tertiary (highly specialized) and palliative care: “Dementia”]. [Internet]. Ministry of Health of Ukraine: Register of medical and technological documents. Ukrainian. Available from: http://mtd.dec.gov.ua/images/dodatki/2016_736_Demencia/2016_736_YKPMD_Dem.pdf
17. Bachinskaya NYu, Kopchak OO. [Role of modifiable risk factors in the development of mild cognitive impairment in patients with chronic cerebrovascular insufficiency and metabolic syndrome]. Ukrainian Neurological Journal. 2014;(1):53-60. Ukrainian. [VernadskyNLU]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Lidia L. Chebotariova, Marina V. Globa, Albina I. Tretiakova, Sergey S. Makeev, Ludmila N. Suliy, Alexandr S. Solonovych, Nikolay A. Nikolov, Tatiana G. Novikova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.