The influence of native MSC, interleukin-10 and MSC transfected with interleukin-10 gene on behavioral reactions of rats with EAE
Keywords:experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, mesenchymal stem cells, interleukin-10, open field test
Objective. The influence of native mesenchymal stem cells (MSC), interleukin-10 and MSC, transfected with plasmid vector that contains interleukin-10 (IL-10) gene, on behavioral reactions of rats in the open field test.
Materials and methods. EAE was induced by injection of spinal cord homogenate with complete Freund’s adjuvant. Rats with EAE were treated with intravenous (on the 10th day) and/or suboccipital (on the 17th day) injections of different combination of MSC, IL-10 and transfected MSC. MSC were derived from Wharton’s jelly of human umbilical cord using explant method. Secondary plant MSC were transfected with plasmid that contained cDNA gene of IL-10 and marker green fluorescent protein (GFP) gene. Recombinant IL-10 gene has been derived in Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics and courtesy for it for the study. We studied behavioral reactions of rats in the open field test.
Results. Induced EAE was found to provoke dramatically change in rats behavior in the open field test. The combination of both MSC and IL-10 facilitated greater efficiency, in comparison to transfected MSC, the adjustment of behavioral disorders of orientation, exploration and emotional reactions in rats with EAE.
Conclusions. Treatment of EAE in rats with MSC, transfected with plasmid vector that contains IL-10 gene showed greater efficacy in comparison to treatment with non-transfected MSC. Treatment of EAE in rats with combination of both MSC and IL-10 showed greater efficacy in comparison to treatment with transfected MSC.
2. Sharma RR, Pollock K, Hubel A, McKenna D. Mesenchymal stem or stromal cells: a review of clinical applications and manufacturing practices. Transfusion. 2014;54:1418-1437. [CrossRef]
3. Sousa BR, Parreira RC, Fonseca EA, Amaya MJ, Tonelli FM, Lacerda SM, Lalwani P, Santos AK, Gomes KN, Ulrich H, Kihara AH, Resende RR. Human adult stem cells from diverse origins: an overview from multiparametricimmunophenotyping to clinical applications. Cytometry A. 2014 Jan;85(1):43-77. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
4. Mareschi K, Rustichelli D, Calabrese R, Gunetti M, Sanavio F, Castiglia S, Risso A, Ferrero I, Tarella C, Fagioli F. Multipotent mesenchymal stromal stem cell expansion by plating whole bone marrow at a low cellular density: a more advantageous method for clinical use. Stem Cells Int. 2012;2012:920581. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
5. Isakova IA, Baker K, DuTreil M, Dufour J, Gaupp D, Phinney DG. Age- and dose-related effects on MSC engraftment levels and anatomical distribution in the central nervous systems of nonhuman primates: identification of novel MSC subpopulations that respond to guidance cues in brainStem cells. Stem Cells. 2007 Dec;25(12):3261-70. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
6. Phinney DG, Baddoo M, Dutreil M, Gaupp D, Lai WT, Isakova IA. Murine mesenchymal stem cells transplanted to the central nervous system of neonatal versus adult mice exhibit distinct engraftment kinetics and express receptors that guide neuronal cell migration. Stem Cells and Development. Stem Cells Dev. 2006 Jun;15(3):437-447. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
7. Gordon D, Pavlovska G, Uney JB, Wraith DC, Scolding NJ. Human mesenchymal stem cells infiltrate the spinal cord, reduce demyelination, and localize to white matter lesions in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2010 Nov;69(11):1087-95. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Tsymbaliuk V, Deriabina E, Shuvalova N, Maslova O, Pokholenko I, Toporova O, Shpileva S, Kirik V, Pichkur L, Kasianenko I, Pichkur O, Kordium V. Phenotypical changes and proliferative potential of mesenchymal stem cells from humans Wharton’s jelly in the cultivation conditions. Ukranian Neurosurgical Journal. 2015;(2):17-24. Ukrainian. [CrossRef]
9. Tang YL, Tang Y, Zhang YC, Qian K, Shen L, Phillips MI. Improved Graft Mesenchymal Stem Cell Survival in Ischemic Heart With a Hypoxia-Regulated Heme Oxygenase-1 Vector. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Oct 4;46(7):1339–1350. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Zhang X, Koldzic DN, Izikson L, Reddy J, Nazareno RF, Sakaguchi S, Kuchroo VK, Weiner HL. IL-10 is involved in the suppression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by CD25+CD4+ regulatory T-cells. Int Immunol. 2004 Feb;16(2):249–256. [PubMed]
12. Segal BM, Dwyer BK, Shevach EM. An interleukin (IL)-10/IL-12 immunoregulatory circuit controls susceptibility to autoimmune disease. J Exp Med. 1998 Feb 16;187(4):537-46. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
13. European Convention for the Protection of Vertebrate Animals used for Experimental and Other Scientific Purposes [Internet]. Council of Europe. 2017 [cited 24 May 2017]. Available from: https://rm.coe.int/168007a67b
14. [Law of Ukraine No 3447-IV On the Protection of Animals from Cruelty] [Internet]. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. 2017 [cited 24 May 2017]. Ukrainian. Available from: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3447-15
15. Davydova GS. [Questions of directed simulation of allergic encephalomyelitis. In: Davydova GS. Demyelinating diseases of the nervous system in experimental and clinical]. Minsk: Nauka i tehnika; 1975. P. 24-33. Russian.
16. Tsymbaliuk VI, Kasyanenko YA. Features of the modeling and flow of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Ukranian Neurosurgical Journal. 2005;(1):12-14. Ukranian. [VernadskyNLU]
17. Pichkur LD, Semenova VM, Verbovska SA, Oleksenko NP, Akinola ST The features of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis after stem cells transplantation. Ukranian Neurosurgical Journal. 2017;(2):27-33. Ukranian. [CrossRef]
18. Velychko OM, Bilous OI, Morozov AM, Hrydina NY, Biloshytskyi VV, inventors; Romodanov Institute of Neurosurgery of the NAMS of Ukraine, assignee. Appliance for study of behavioral reactions of rats. Ukraine Patent 105155. 2016 March 10. Available from: http://base.ukrpatent.org/searchINV/search.php?action=viewdetails&IdClaim=221068
19. Velychko OM, Bilous OI, Morozov AM, Hrydina NY, Biloshytskyi VV, inventors; Romodanov Institute of Neurosurgery of the NAMS of Ukraine, assignee. Method of study of behavioral responses of rats to install «Open Field». Ukraine Patent 104642. 2016 February 10. Available from: http://base.ukrpatent.org/searchINV/search.php?action=viewdetails&IdClaim=220269
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Vitaliy I. Tsymbaliuk, Olga M. Velichko, Leonid D. Pichkur, Samuel T. Akinola, Svitlana A. Verbovska, Nadija S. Shuvalova, Olena K. Toporova, Olena G. Deriabina
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.