Combination of trigeminal neuralgia and cerebellopontine angle tumors. Modern approaches to diagnosis and treatment: literature review
Keywords:trigeminal neuralgia, cerebellopontine angle tumor, neurovascular conflict, combined pathology
Based on the data of world literature, the combination of cerebellopontine angle tumors (CPA) and trigeminal neuralgia (TN) caused by neurovascular conflict (NVC) is rare. TN for CPA tumors is predominantly caused by the V cranium nerve compression by tumor masses.
The article presents the variants of the classification of the anatomical relationship between tumor, nerve and vessels in this pathology, as well as the recommendations on diagnostics and tactics of surgical treatment.
All patients with TN should undergo MRI of the brain and least one of the modes of visualization of the cranial nerves included in the protocol of the study.
Removal of CPA tumor should be combined with revision of TN root and mandatory elimination of the NVC.
1. Samii M, Gerganov V. Surgery of Cerebellopontine Lesions. Heidelberg: Springer Science & Business Media; 2013.
2. Berkowitz O, Iyer AK, Kano H, Talbott EO, Lunsford LD. Epidemiology and Environmental Risk Factors Associated with Vestibular Schwannoma. World Neurosurg. 2015 Dec;84(6):1674-80. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
3. Jannetta PJ. Trigeminal Neuralgia. New York: Oxford University Press; 2011.
6. Yang J, Simonson TM, Ruprecht A, Meng D, Vincent SD, Yuh WT. Magnetic resonance imaging used to assess patients with trigeminal neuralgia. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996 Mar;81(3):343-50. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Hasegawa K, Kondo A, Kinuta Y, Tanabe H, Kawakami M, Matsuura N, Chin M, Saiki M. [Studies concerning the pathogenesis of trigeminal neuralgia caused by cerebellopontine angle tumors]. No Shinkei Geka. 1995 Apr;23(4):315-20. Japanese. [PubMed]
9. Fedirko VO. [Cranial nerves hyperactive dysfunction syndromes in combination with extracerebral tumors of posterior fossa]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2009;(4):25-9. Ukrainian. [Abstract/Full Text]
10. Nakagawa K, Aoyagi M, Kawano Y, Ohno K. [Clinical and operative findings in patients with trigeminal neuralgia caused by brain tumors]. No Shinkei Geka. 2009 Sep;37(9):863-71. Japanese. [PubMed]
11. Grigoryan YuA, Sitnikov AR. [Trigeminal neuralgia and cerebellopontine angle tumors]. The A.L.Polenov Russian Journal of Neurosurgery. 2010;2(1):28-41. Russian. [eLIBRARY.RU]
13. Khan Afridi EA, Khan SA, Qureshi WU, Bhatti SN, Muhammad G, Mahmood S, Rehman A. Frequency of cerebellopontine angle tumours in patients with trigeminal neuralgia. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2014 Jul-Sep;26(3):331-3. [PubMed]
15. Hoo JY, Sathasivam HP, Lau SH, Saw CL. Symptomatic trigeminal neuralgia secondary to tumours: A case series. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medicine, and Pathology. 2017;29(1):71-6. [CrossRef]
16. Cui C, Liu L, Ma J, Liang S, Tian L, Tang L, Li L. Trigeminal nerve palsy in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: correlation between clinical findings and magnetic resonance imaging. Head Neck. 2009 Jun;31(6):822-8. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
17. Polishchuk M, Voznyak O, Kaminskiy A, Oblyvach A, Sichinava V, Gudim M. [Trigeminal nerve dysfunction in patients with cranial base tumors]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2015 Sep 16;(3):17–20. Russian. [CrossRef]
21. DeSouza DD, Hodaie M, Davis KD. Structural Magnetic Resonance Imaging Can Identify Trigeminal System Abnormalities in Classical Trigeminal Neuralgia. Front Neuroanat. 2016 Oct 19;10:95. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
22. Hughes MA, Frederickson AM, Branstetter BF, Zhu X, Sekula RF Jr. MRI of the Trigeminal Nerve in Patients With Trigeminal Neuralgia Secondary to Vascular Compression. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Mar;206(3):595-600. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
23. Neetu S, Sunil K, Ashish A, Jayantee K, Usha Kant M. Microstructural abnormalities of the trigeminal nerve by diffusion-tensor imaging in trigeminal neuralgia without neurovascular compression. Neuroradiol J. 2016 Feb;29(1):13-8. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
24. Oishi M, Fukuda M, Takao T, Ishida G, Sato M, Fujii Y. [The utility of presurgical simulation of microvascular decompression by MR virtual endoscopy]. No Shinkei Geka. 2007 Nov;35(11):1087-95. Japanese. [PubMed]
26. Kobata H, Kondo A, Iwasaki K. Cerebellopontine angle epidermoids presenting with cranial nerve hyperactive dysfunction: pathogenesis and long-term surgical results in 30 patients. Neurosurgery. 2002 Feb;50(2):276-85; discussion 285-6. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
27. Cruccu G, Finnerup NB, Jensen TS, Scholz J, Sindou M, Svensson P, Treede RD, Zakrzewska JM, Nurmikko T. Trigeminal neuralgia: New classification and diagnostic grading for practice and research. Neurology. 2016 Jul 12;87(2):220-8. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
30. Tian T, Guo L, Xu J, Zhang S, Shi J, Liu C, Qin Y, Zhu W. Brain white matter plasticity and functional reorganization underlying the central pathogenesis of trigeminal neuralgia. Sci Rep. 2016 Oct 25;6:36030. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
32. Kumar S, Rastogi S, Kumar S, Mahendra P, Bansal M, Chandra L. Pain in trigeminal neuralgia: neurophysiology and measurement: a comprehensive review. J Med Life. 2013;6(4):383-8. Epub 2013 Dec 25. Review. [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
34. Matsuka Y, Fort ET, Merrill RL. Trigeminal neuralgia due to an acoustic neuroma in the cerebellopontine angle. J Orofac Pain. 2000 Spring;14(2):147-51. Review. [PubMed]
35. Chamadoira C, Cerejo A, Duarte F, Vaz R. [Trigeminal neuralgia caused by contra lateral cerebellopontine angle tumor. A case report]. Neurocirugia (Astur). 2010 Feb;21(1):50-2. Spanish. [PubMed]
37. Jaspers GW, Stegenga B. [Trigeminal neuralgia by an acoustic neuroma. The need of imaging]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2005 Jun;112(6):231-3. Dutch. [PubMed]
38. Jaspers GW, Stegenga B. [Trigeminal neuralgia by an acoustic neuroma. The need of imaging]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2005 Jun;112(6):231-3. Dutch. [PubMed]
39. Trosh RM, Lisyaniy AN. K voprosu o khirurgicheskom lechenii epidermoidnykh opukholey zadney cherepnoy yamy. Bulletin of the Ukrainian Association of Neurosurgeons. 1998;(4):14-7. Russian.
43. Park SC, Lee DH, Lee JK. Two-Session Tumor and Retrogasserian Trigeminal Nerve-Targeted Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Secondary Trigeminal Neuralgia Associated with Benign Tumors. World Neurosurg. 2016 Dec; 96:136-147. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Andriy G. Sirko, Dmytro M. Romanukha
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.