The features of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis after stem cells transplantation
Keywords:experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, neurotransplantation, hematopoietic stem cells, fetal neurocells
The objective. To study the course of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) after intravenous administration of hematopoietic stem cells (HSC) and suboccipital transplantation of fetal neurocells (FNC), and treatment impact on intensity of neural tissue renewing in rats with EAE.
Materials and methods. The experiment included 40 rats, average weight 200 g. EAE was induced using complete Freund’s adjuvant. In 32 rats with EAE we used intravenous HSK (10 million cells or 20 million cells) and suboccipital transplantation of FNC (0.1 ml). The EAE clinical course was estimated up to 110 days. The rats were taken from the experiment on 23rd, 25th days and in 2 months after EAE induction. The preparations were stained by Nisse, with hematoxylin, eosin and picro-fuchsin. Morphological and morphometric studies were performed.
Results. Complete recovery was not observed, and on the 26th day of the experiment EAE was regarded as a chronic process. After allogeneic HSC administration (in dose 10 million cells) peak of clinical manifestations was observed on the 20th day of the experiment with animals’ gradual complete recovery. Administration of allogeneic HSC in a dose of 20 million cells leads to significantly more rapid regression of clinical signs compared to the treatment with allogeneic HSC in a dose of 10 million cells. Animals’ recovery after intravenous introduction of HSC and suboccipital transplantation of FNC was significantly more rapid than after treatment just with HSC. The treatment with intravenous introduction of HSC (20 million cells) and suboccipital transplantation of FNC was associated with temporary significant deterioration after HSC administration and rapid recovery after FNC application (on the 29th day). In all treatment options we revealed the tendency to reduction of pathologically changed neurocyts and gliocyts number.
Conclusion. Suboccipital administration of allogeneic FNC improves the clinical condition of rats with EAE. The best results of experimental EAE treatment were observed at intravenous administration of HSC (20 million cells) followed by FNC neurotransplantation, particularly on the 63rd day.
1. Gusev EI, Demina TL, Boyko AN. Rasseyannyy skleroz. [Multiple Sclerosis]. Moscow: iNeft’-gaz;1997. Russian.
2. Gusev EI, Konovalov AN, Skvortsova VI. Nevrologiya i neyrokhirurgiya: uchebnik. [Neurology and Neurosurgery: A textbook]. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media; 2009. 2nd ed. Vol.2. Russian.
3. Grishchenko VI. Rol’ kriobiologii v sozdanii biotekhnologiy kletochnoy i tkanevoy transplantatsii. [Cryobiology role in the creation of biotechnology cell and tissue transplantation]. Problemy Cryobiologii. 2001;3:7-8. Russian.
4. Tsymbaliuk VI, Lisianyi NI., Markova OV, Pichkur LD, Osipenko TI. Supressiya eksperimental’nogo allergicheskogo entsefalomiyelita suboktsipital’nym vvedeniyem trofina – ekstrakta embrional’noy nervnoy tkani. [Suppression of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis by intrathecal injection of trofin – extract embryonic neural tissue]. Allergology and Immunology. 2001;2(2):135. Russian.
5. Lisianyi NI, Zadorozhnaya EN, Gnedkova IA, Bel’ska LN, Klyuchnikova AI. Izucheniye immunomoduliruyushchikh svoystv adgezivnykh kletok kostnogo mozga. [Study of the immunomodulatory properties of adhesive cells of bone marrow] Immunology and Allergology: Science and Practice. 2013;3:4-8. Russian. http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Ita_2013_3_3
6. Kononenko VV, Borshteyn YA, Solska TV. Herpesvirusy vid syndromu khronichnoyi vtomy do orhanichnykh urazhen’ tsentral’noyi nervovoyi systemy. [Herpesvirus from chronic fatigue syndrome to organic lesions of the central nervous system]. Immunology and Allergology. 2001;4:36. Ukrainian.
7. Tsymbalyuk VI, Pichkur LD, Semenova VM, Vaslovych VV, Kasyanenko YA, Markova OV, Verbovska SA, Pichkur Ol. Vplyv neyrohennykh klityn na protsesy de- ta remiyelinizatsiyi v eksperymenti. [Impact of neurogenic cells on the processes of de- and remyelination in experiment]. In: Abstracts Book of the Conf. of Neurosurgeons of Ukraine “Dosyahnennya neyrokhirurhiyi ostann’oho desyatyrichchya» v ramkakh mizhnar. med. forumu «Innovatsiyi v medytsyni — zdorov’ya natsi “; 2012 September 26-27; Kyiv, Ukraine. Kyiv, 2012. P.113. Ukrainian.
8. Brondz BD. T-limfotsity i ikh retseptory v immunologicheskom raspoznavanii. [T-lymphocytes and their receptors in immunological recognition]. Moscow: Science; 1987. Russian.
10. Kovalchuk MV, Deryabina O.G., Pichkur LD, Verbovskaya SA, Shuvalova NS, Pichkur OL, Kordium VA Distribution of transplanted human mesenchymal stem cells from Wharton’s Jelly in the central nervous systems of the EAE rats. Biopolymers and Cell. 2015;31(5):371-8.
11. Grin VK, Gnylorybov AM, Ivaschenko YS, Trubnikova NN, Melokhina VA, Polulyakh OY, Ridzhok VV. Mikrokhimerizm. I. Vozmozhnyye istochniki i rol’ pri autoimmunnykh zabolevaniyakh. [Microcyimerism. I. Possible sources and role in autoimmune diseases]. Ukrainian Journal of Rheumatology. 2011;1(43):43-51. Russian.
12. Muja N, Cohen ME, Zhang J, Kim H, Gilad AA, Walczak P, Ben-Hur T, Bulte JW. Neural precursors exhibit distinctly different patterns of cell migration upon transplantation during either the acute or chronic phase of EAE: a serial MR imaging study. Magn Reson Med. 2011;65(6):1738-49. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
13. Tsymbaluk VI, Medvedev VV. Neyrogennyye stvolovyye kletki: monografiya. [Neurogenic stem cells: Monograph]. Кiev: Koval’; 2005. Russian.
14. European convention for the protection of vertebrate animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes. Council of European. Strasbourg; 1986. 51 p.
15. Zakon Ukrainy «Pro zahyst tvaryn vid zhorstokogo povodzhennja» vid 21.02.2006 №3447-IV [Law of Ukraine «On the Protection of Cruelty to Animals» from 21.02.2006 №3447-IV]. Vidomosti Verhovnoi’ Rady Ukrai’ny, 2006;27:990. Ukrainian.
16. Lisianyi MI, Markova OV, Bel’ska LN. Modelyuvannya eksperymental’noho alerhichnoho entsefalomiyelitu u shchuriv i yoho korektsiya klitynamy alohennoho holovnoho mozku. [Modelling of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis for rats and his correction by the cells of allogenic cerebrum]. Fiziol Zhurn. 2001;47(5):37-41. Ukrainian.
17. Nefedov AA, Mamchur VI, Kharchenko YV. Modelyuvannya ta otsinka perebihu eksperymental’noho alerhichnoho entsefalomiyelitu. [Modelling and evaluation of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis]. Visnyk problem biolohiyi i medytsyny. 2014;2(4):205-8. Ukrainian. http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Vpbm_2014_4%282%29__46
18. Davydova GS. Voprosy napravlennogo modelirovaniya allergicheskogo entsefalomiyelita. [Questions of directed simulation of allergic encephalomyelitis]. In:Demiyeliniziruyushchiye zabolevaniya nervnoy sistemy v eksperimente I klinike. [Demyelinating diseases of the nervous system in the experimental and clinic]. Minsk: Nauka i tehnika; 1975. p.24-33. Russian.
19. Shiojiri N, Nitou M. Purification and culture of fetal mouse hepatoblasts that are precursors of mature hepatocytes and biliary epithelial cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;826:3-10. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
20. Svendsen CN, Borg MG, Armstrong RE, Rosser AE, Chandran S, Ostenfeld T, Caldwell MA. A new method for the rapid and long-term growth of human neural precursor cells. J Neurosci Method. 1998;85(2):141-52. [PubMed]
21. Carpenter MK, Cui X, Hu ZY, Jackson J, Sherman S, Seiger A, Wahlberg LU. In vitro expansion of a multipotent population of human neural precursor cells. Exp Neurol. 1999;158(2):265-78. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
22. Lilly R. Patogistologicheskaya tekhnika i prakticheskaya gistokhimiya. [Histopathological techniques and practical histochemistry]. Мoscow: Nauka; 1969. Russian.
23. Grivtsova LY, Tupitsyn NN. Subpopulyatsiya transplantiruyemykh stvolovykh kletok. [Subpopulation of transplanted stem cells]. Oncohematologiya. 2006;8(1):65-71. Russian.
24. Lapach SN, Chubenko AV, Babich NN. Statisticheskiye metody v mediko-biologicheskikh issledovaniyakh s ispol’zovaniyem Excel. [Statistical methods in biomedical research using Exsel]. Kiev: Morion; 2001. Russian.
25. Sokolova LI, Kruglyak AA. Pokazateli kletochnogo i gumoral’nogo immuniteta u bol’nykh rasseyannym sklerozom s gerpesvirusnoy persistentsiyey. [Indexes of cellular and humoral immunity in multiple sclerosis patients with herpesvirus persistence. Imunolohiya ta alerholohiya. 2003(4):84-5. Russian.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Leonid D. Pichkur, Vira M. Semenova, Svitlana A. Verbovska, Natalia P. Oleksenko, Samuel T. Akinola
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.