Ultrastructural evaluation of recovery of injured sciatic nerve at autografting of it’s large defects in rats: Experimental study
Introduction. The purpose of the experimental study was ultrastructural and morphometric evaluation of reconstruction efficacy at nerve’s large defects, comparison of efficacy of combined autografting and stimulation for sciatic nerve recovery.
Materials and methods. For sciatic nerve’s recovery evaluation we studied it’s distal segment using electron microscopy.
Results. Autografting allows to reconstruct large defects of sciatic nerve but it is characterized by low regeneration efficacy and glial and connective scars forming in areas of neurorrhaphy. After 30 days only 47% nerve fibers regenerated. Platelet rich plasma (PRP), NGF and thyroxine stimulate nerve fibers regeneration in distal segment of the nerve. Efficacy of regeneration at PRP using was 85%, thyroxine — 66%, NGF — 65%.
Conclusions. Autografting is the «gold standard» for reconstruction of old and large defects of peripheral nerve’s. NGF, thyroxine and PRP stimulate recovery processes after reconstruction: NGF activates myelin fibers regeneration, thyroxine — stimulates myelination, PRP — activates regeneration of unmyelinated nerve fibers and axon – glial interaction.
Full Text:PDF (Українська)
Varejão AS, Cabrita AM, Meek MF, Bulas-Cruz J, Melo-Pinto P, Raimondo S, Geuna S, Giacobini-Robecchi MG. Functional and Morphological Assessment of a Standardized Rat Sciatic Nerve Crush Injury with a Non-Serrated Clamp. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2004;21(11):1652-1670. CrossRef
Cheng C, Webber C, Wang J et al. Activated RHOA and peripheral axon regeneration. Experimental Neurology. 2008;212(2):358-369. CrossRef
Wood M, Kemp S, Weber C, Borschel G, Gordon T. Outcome measures of peripheral nerve regeneration. Annals of Anatomy - Anatomischer Anzeiger. 2011;193(4):321-333. CrossRef
Aloe L. Rita Levi – Montalcini and the discovery of nerve growth factor: Past and present studies. Arch. Ital. Biol. 2003;141:65–83. PubMed
Jubran M, Widenfalk J. Repair of peripheral nerve transections with fibrin sealant containing neurotrophic factors. Experimental Neurology. 2003;181(2):204-212. CrossRef
Chunzheng G, Shengzhong M, Yinglian J, Ji-e W, Jianmin L. Siatic nerve regeneration in rats stimulated by fibrin glue containing nerve growth factor: An experimental study. Injury. 2008;39(12):1414-1420. CrossRef
Shakhbazau A, Kawasoe J, Hoyng S et al. Early regenerative effects of NGF-transduced Schwann cells in peripheral nerve repair. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience. 2012;50(1):103-112. CrossRef
McQuarrie I. Nerve regeneration and thyroid hormone treatment. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 1975;26(4):499-502. CrossRef
Voinesco F, Glauser L, Kraftsik R, Barakat-Walter I. Local Administration of Thyroid Hormones in Silicone Chamber Increases Regeneration of Rat Transected Sciatic Nerve. Experimental Neurology. 1998;150(1):69-81. CrossRef
Barakat-Walter I. Role of thyroid hormones and their receptors in peripheral nerve regeneration. Journal of Neurobiology. 1999;40(4):541-559. CrossRef
Wang M, Yang ZH. [Role of thyroid hormone in peripheral nerve regeneration]. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2002;16(3):168-169. Chinese. PubMed
Cho H, Jang S, Lee S et al. Effect of neural-induced mesenchymal stem cells and platelet-rich plasma on facial nerve regeneration in an acute nerve injury model. The Laryngoscope. 2010:NA-NA. CrossRef
Farrag T, Lehar M, Verhaegen P, Carson K, Byrne P. Effect of Platelet Rich Plasma and Fibrin Sealant on Facial Nerve Regeneration in a Rat Model. The Laryngoscope. 2007;117(1):157-165. CrossRef
Lichtenfels M, Colomé L, Sebben A, Braga-Silva J. Effect of platelet rich plasma and platelet rich fibrin on sciatic nerve regeneration in a rat model. Microsurgery. 2013;33(5):383-390. CrossRef
Van Pham P, Bui K, Ngo D et al. Activated platelet-rich plasma improves adipose-derived stem cell transplantation efficiency in injured articular cartilage. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;4(4):91. CrossRef
Yu W, Wang J, Yin J. Platelet-Rich Plasma: A Promising Product for Treatment of Peripheral Nerve Regeneration After Nerve Injury. Int J Neurosci. 2011;121(4):176-180. CrossRef
GOST Style Citations
1. Functional and morphological assessment of a standardized rat sciatic nerve crush injury with a non-serrated clamp / A.S. Varejao, A.M. Cabrita, M.F. Meek, J. Bulas-Cruz, P. Melo-Pinto, S. Raimondo, S. Geuna, M.G. Giacobini-Robecchi // J. Neurotrauma. — 2004. — V.21, N11. — P.1652–1670.
2. Activated RHOA and peripheral axon regeneration / C. Cheng, C.A. Webber, J. Wang, Y. Xu, J.A. Martinez, W.Q. Liu, D. McDonald, G.F. Guo, M.D. Nguyen, D.W. Zochodne // Exp. Neurol. — 2008. — V.212, N2. — P.358–369.
3. Outcome measures of peripheral nerve regeneration / M.D. Wood, S.W. Kemp, C. Weber, G.H. Borschel, T. Gordon // Ann. Anat. — 2011. — V.193, N4. — P.321–333.
4. Aloe L. Rita Levi – Montalcini and the discovery of nerve growth factor: Past and present studies / L. Aloe // Arch. Ital. Biol. — 2003. — V.141. — P.65–83.
5. Jubran M. Repair of peripheral nerve transections with fibrin sealant containing neurotrophic factors / M. Jubran, J. Widenfalk // Exp. Neurol. — 2003. — V.181. — P.204–212.
6. Sciatic nerve regeneration in rats stimulated by fibrin glue containing nerve growth factor: an experimental study / C. Gao, S. Ma, Y. Ji, J.E. Wang, J.Li // Injury. — 2008. — V.39, N12. — P.1414–1420.
7. Early regenerative effects of NGF-transduced Schwann cells in peripheral nerve repair / A. Shakhbazau, J. Kawasoe, S.A. Hoyng, R. Kumar, J. van Minnen, J. Verhaagen, R. Midha // Mol. Cell. Neurosci. — 2012. — V.50, N1. — P.103–112.
8. McQuarrie I.G. Nerve regeneration and thyroid hormone treatment / I.G. McQuarrie // J. Neurol. Sci. — 1975. — V.26. — P.499–502.
9. Local administration of thyroid hormones in silicone chamber increases regeneration of rat transected sciatic nerve / F. Voinesco, L. Glauser, R. Kraftsik, I. Barakat–Walter // Experim. Neurol. — 1998. — V.150. — P.69–81.
10. Barakat–Walter I. Role of thyroid hormones and their receptors in peripheral nerve regeneration / I. Barakat–Walter // J. Neurobiol. — 1999. — V.40. — P.541–559.
11. Wang M. Role of thyroid hormone in peripheral nerve regeneration / M. Wang, Z.H. Yang // Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. — 2002. — V.16. — P.168–169.
12. Effect of neural-induced mesenchymal stem cells and platelet-rich plasma on facial nerve regeneration in an acute nerve injury model / H.H. Cho, S. Jang, S.C. Lee, H.S. Jeong, J.S. Park, J.Y. Han, K.H. Lee, Y.B. Cho // Laryngoscope. — 2010. — V.120., N5 — P.907–913.
13. Effect of platelet rich plasma and fibrin sealant on facial nerve regeneration in a rat model / T.Y. Farrag, M. Lehar, P. Verhaegen [et al.] // Laryngoscope. – 2007. – V. 117. – P. 157 – 165.
14. Effect of platelet rich plasma and platelet rich fibrin on sciatic nerve regeneration in a rat model / M. Lichtenfels, L. Colomй, A.D. Sebben, J. Braga–Silva // Microsurgery. — 2013. — V.33. — P.383–390.
15. Activated platelet-rich plasma improves adipose-derived stem cell transplantation efficiency in injured articular cartilage / P. Van Pham, K.H. Bui, D.Q. Ngo, N.B. Vu, N.H. Truong, N.L. Phan, D.M. Le, T.D. Duong, T.D. Nguyen, V.T. Le, N.K. Phan // Stem Cell Res. Ther. — 2013. — V.4, N4. — P.91.
16. Yu W. Platelet-rich plasma: a promising product for treatment of peripheral nerve regeneration after nerve injury / W. Yu, J. Wang, J. Yin // Int. J. Neurosci. — 2011. — V.121. — P.176–180.
Copyright (c) 2014 Sergiy Strafun, Vasyl Gayovich, Sergiy Savosko
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.