Treatment strategy for the tumor cyst of the medulla in an eloquent area: a case report and review of the literature
Keywords:medulla, Ommaya Reservoir, brain stem, tumor cyst, eloquent area
This is a clinical case of a 24-year-old woman with the unrescetable cystic tumor of the medulla because of eloquent area involved and severe neurological symptoms caused by the recurrent cystic component. The patient underwent emptying the cyst twice previously by means of safe entry zone myelotomy. Later there was a recurrence of the cyst with a significant neurological and oweral deterioration which is typical for such neoplasms.
Recurrent cystic mass-effect was resolved with the help of newly designed device implanted. It provided simultaneous stable cisternal drainage and an opportunity for active aspiration via Ommaya reservoir.
1. Jiang XB, Ke C, Han ZA, Lin SH, Mou YG, Luo RZ, Wu SX, Chen ZP. Intraparenchymal papillary meningioma of brainstem: case report and literature review. World J Surg Oncol. 2012 Jan 12;10:10. [CrossRef] [PubMed] [PubMed Central]
2. He P, Chen W, Qiu XX, Xi YB, Guan H, Xia J. A Rare High-Grade Glioma with a Histone H3 K27M Mutation in the Hypothalamus of an Adult Patient. World Neurosurg. 2019 Aug;128:527-531. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
4. Shaya MR, Fowler MR, Nanda A. Pilocytic astrocytoma presenting as an intrinsic brainstem tumor: case report and review of the literature. J La State Med Soc. 2004 Jan-Feb;156(1):33-6. [PubMed]
9. Bartoš R, Lodin J, Marek T, Sameš M, Němcová V, Liščák R. Combined treatment of a medulla oblongata hemangioblastoma via permanent cysto-cisternal drainage and (postponed) gamma knife radiosurgery: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Neurosci. 2020 Sep 9:1-5. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Oshima A, Kimura T, Akabane A, Kawai K. Optimal implantation of Ommaya reservoirs for cystic metastatic brain tumors preceding Gamma Knife radiosurgery. J Clin Neurosci. 2017 May;39:199-202. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Mortini P, Bailo M, Spina A, Acerno S, Boari N, Gagliardi F. Cyst-cisternal shunting for cystic multirecurrent brainstem epidermoid: case report and literature review. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2016 Jun;158(6):1197-201. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
12. Levenbaum E, Ellika S, Korones DN. Bevacizumab in treating the cystic components of pediatric low-grade gliomas: A report of four patients. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019 Nov;66(11):e27917. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Volodymyr O. Fedirko , Andrii G. Naboichenko , Mykola V. Iehorov , Albina I. Trеtiakova , Oleksandra Y. Malysheva
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal abides by the CREATIVE COMMONS copyright rights and permissions for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this Journal, agree to the following conditions:
1. The authors reserve the right to authorship of the work and pass the first publication right of this work to the Journal under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License, which allows others to freely distribute the published research with the obligatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this Journal.
2. The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive work distribution in the form of which it has been published by the Journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the Journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this Journal is included.