Immediate surgical treatment results for lateral ventricle neoplasms of the brain in children and adults
Objective. Тo analyze and review the immediate surgical treatment results for a wide histological range of lateral ventricle tumors (TLV) in children and adults.
Materials and methods. Single centre retrospective study included 234 patients with TLV treated and managed in the Neurosurgery Institute from 1990 to 2016. There were 104 adults (54 females and 50 males) while the children were 139 (89 males and 50 females). Thorough physical examination using neuroimaging methods was performed in all the patients. One-hundred and twenty-three children (lethality 37.4 %) and 85 adult patients underwent surgical treatment (lethality 14.1 %).
Results. Hypertensive syndrome as TLV clinical sign prevailed: in 108 (77.7 %) and 83 (79.8 %) pediatric and adult patients, respectively.
One-hundred and twenty three pediatric patients underwent surgery: 77 (62.6 %) were discharged after surgery, 46 (37.4%) patients died. While in the adult group 85 patients were operated; 73 (85.9 %) patients were discharged after surgery, and 12 (14.1%) died.
Conclusions. Lateral ventricle tumors are complicated pathology manifesting by hypertensive syndrome, require a differentiated choice of adequate surgical approach, since it is accompanied by a high mortality rate and complications in the early postoperative period, mostly in children.
Full Text:PDF (Русский)
1. Mehrzi Mohamed-Kamel. Struktura i rasprostraneniye opukholey bokovykh zheludochkov [Structure and spread of tumors of the lateral ventricles]. Zb nauk prats’ spнvrobнtn NMAPO нm PL Shupika. 2015:24(1):258-64. Russian. http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Znpsnmapo_2015_24%281%29__44
2. Verbova LN, Shamaev MI, Malysheva TA. Diagnostika i khirurgicheskoye lecheniye bol’nykh s opukholyami bokovykh zheludochkov i prozrachnoy peregorodki [Diagnosis and surgical treatment in patients with lateral ventricles tumors and transparent septum]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2009(4):20-4. Russian.
3. Ryskeldiev NA, Zhumadildina AZ, Mustafin HA, Teltaev DC, Olenbay GI, Doszhanov BS, Sygay NA. Opukholi bokovykh zheludochkov: klinicheskiye proyavleniya i khirurgicheskoye lecheniye. [Tumors of the lateral ventricles: clinical manifestations and surgical treatment]. Neurosurgery and Neurology of Kazakhstan. 2012;2-3 (27-28):119-23. Russian. http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/opuholi-bokovyh-zheludochkov-klinicheskie-proyavleniya-i-hirurgicheskoe-lechenie#ixzz4cWnKQK6p
4. Orlov YA, Shaverskyi AV, Svyst AO. [Choroid plexus tumors]. Ukrainian Neurosurgical Journal. 2012(2):13-7. Russian. [Abstract/Full Text]
5. Shebzuhova LM Bersnev VP. Diagnostika meningiom bokovykh i tret’yego zheludochkov golovnogo mozga. [Diagnostics of meningiomas of the lateral and third ventricles of the brain]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region Meditsinskiye nauki. Klin Meditsina. 2007(3):80-8. Russian. http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/nevrologicheskaya-diagnostika-meningiom-bokovyh-i-tretiego-zheludochkov-golovnogo-mozga#ixzz4cWqLWtGG
6. Danaila L. Primary tumors of the lateral ventricles of the brain. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2013;108(5):616-30. [PubMed]
7. Delfini R, Acqui M, Oppido PA, Capone R, Santoro A, Ferrante L. Tumors of the lateral ventricles. Neurosurg Rev. 1991;14(2):127-33. [PubMed]
8. Cushing H, Eisenhardt L. Meningiomas. Their classification, regional behavior, life history and surgical end results. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas; 1938. p.139-49.
9. Abbot KH, Courville CB. Intraventricular meningiomas: review of literature and report of two cases. Bull Los Angeles Neurol Soc. 1942;7:12-28.
10. Pendl G, Oztьrk E, Haselsberger K. Surgery of tumours of the lateral ventricle. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1992;116(2-4):128-36. [PubMed]
11. Koos WT, Miller MH. Intracranial tumors of infants and children. Stuttgart: George Thieme; 1971. p.315-21.
13. Lapras C, Deruty R, Bret P. Tumors of the lateral ventricles. Adv Tech Stand Neurosurg. 1984;11:103-67. [PubMed]
14. De La Torre E, Alexander E Jr, Davis CH Jr, Crandell DL. Tumors of the lateral ventricles of the brain: report of eight cases with suggestions of clinical management. J Neurosurg. 1963;20:461-70. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
GOST Style Citations
Copyright (c) 2017 Mykola Y. Polishchuk, Mohamed K. Mehrzi, Andriy V. Smolanka
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.